Data is key to a successful workforce program. The data from volunteers that we collect from registration forms helps us to better understand the wants and needs of our workforce, their availability as well as the skills and knowledge that they bring to the table. This then helps us to assign the right volunteer to the right opportunity.
With volunteers donating their time to better your organization or cause, data protection and security is an extremely important subject that should be at the forefront of workforce managers operations. You don’t want a volunteer having their data compromised because of your inadequate security.
Unfortunately cybercrime is today becoming the fastest growing form of criminal activity worldwide with hackers targeting anyone and everyone.
While there are plenty of ‘free’ tools like online spreadsheets, emails and forms that can help you ‘better’ manage your volunteers, payment is almost always in the form of data (hidden in very fine print).
So how do you keep your workforce data safe? Systems like Rosterfy that allow for the safe collection and storage of data are incredibly valuable to organizations. In this article we take a deep dive into data protection and security to better understand why it’s worth investing in.
Let’s take a look.
Why is protecting your data so important?
The last thing you want is your volunteer data being compromised. That’s why it’s important to either use a secure cloud based system yourself or a volunteer management solution that ensures the safe collection and storage of your workforce data.
Reasons for protecting your workforce data include:
- To prevent your workforce data being susceptible to hacking.
- To assure your volunteers and staff that the data they are providing will comply with privacy standards.
- To safeguard your data against a crash. Without appropriate systems in place you leave yourself vulnerable to losing ALL your data.
- To project yourself for a lawsuit if your volunteer data is accessed and manipulated.
- To ensure that you are GDPR compliant.
How does Rosterfy keep my data safe?
At Rosterfy, the security of your data is paramount to us and we use all reasonable measures to protect your data from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorized access.
Rosterfy stores our clients data on Amazon Web Services (AWS), which is considered the leading cloud computing provider for data storage.
AWS keeps their clients' data secure through dozens of global data centers that are continually monitored and strictly maintained. By having data centers in different locations, AWS ensures that if a disaster strikes one region it doesn’t cause permanent disruptions to data worldwide.
Is Rosterfy GDPR compliant?
If you’re a business operating in the United Kingdom or Europe then you’ve likely heard of GDPR. From May 25, 2018 all organizations working with data of the EU are required to be GDPR compliant, to ensure the safe handling and security of any personal data your organization holds. This includes volunteer data.
In a nutshell, GDPR aims to achieve the following:
- Accuracy - Keep volunteer data up to date and accurate. Volunteers also have the right to request that their data be removed from your system at any given time.
- Protect - Taking reasonable measures to safeguard your volunteer data including the storage of your data, transfer of data and data permissions to ensure data remains secure.
- Transparency - Ensure that organizations are being transparent with their volunteers on how their data will be used.
Volunteer management systems like Rosterfy are set up for GDPR compliance, meaning that we’ve done the hard work for you!
If you’d like to learn more about how to best safeguard your volunteer data using Rosterfy, get in touch today.